Sunday 16 December 2007

2008 Season starts early...

The 2007 season for me finished at the end of october at the final round of the SE series at the top of Leith hill.

Most of October was spent off the bike and included a weeks holiday to Sardinia with my fiancee, Leon.

November saw me start my training for the 2008 season with a plan to start racing late January / Early February.

However, as December starts the weather turns foul and the appeal of long slow rides quickly wanes, so its off to Hillingdon in time for week two of the Imperial Winter series, riding in the colours of my new team for 2008, Sigma Sport.

Saturday 8/12/07 - Very windy and wet day which saw the race splitting early and me up front with new team mate Steve Golla for company in a group of 8. Feeling pretty strong and tried my luck a few times to ride away but was hard going alone down the straight into the wind and was brought back. End up with no legs for the sprint and roll across the finish line in 5th Place, with Steve going one better in 4th.
(Report on BC website)

Saturday 15/12/07 - Race 3 of the Imperial Winter Series with Sigma team mate Steve Golla again in attendance and riding strongly throughout but choosing not to contest the sprint. I rode a couple of hard laps in the middle of the race where I got a few seconds on the bunch and tried to make it stick, but the bunch stayed close, so nothing came of it and was looking like it might finish in a bunch sprint. However, 4 laps to go and whilst riding in 4th wheel someone behind left a little gap entering the straight so I attacked hard and buried myself for the next lap and then had a look around to see that the pack out of sight. Now committed I had to try and hold that till the finish which was pretty painful but after my hard lap I found myself with a 30 second or so lead over the bunch and it turned out this was enough of a head start so I even got to smile a bit and ease down as I crossed the line, did not dare to take my hands off the bars and celebrate lest I fall and break something, first win of the 2008 season, hope i've not peaked too early >< (Report on BC Website)

Sunday 16/12/07 - Bentley 10 mile TT and my final race in the colours of what is now my 2nd claim club Kingston Wheelers. Legs feeling a little jaded after yesterdays efforts and despite borrowing a super "bling" bike from friend and fellow Wheeler, Lawrence, could only manage a low 22 minute ride about 30 seconds behind the winner. Lots of cakes eaten in the HQ afterwards to ease the pain, the flapjack was particularly good! Back to back racing days this early in the season was probably a bit much, but had this one booked up for a few weeks before I'd decided to start racing at the Winter Series.

Below: me riding the Bentley TT on Lawrence's bike

No comments: