Friday 1 August 2008

Last race on sunday.

Just had a very lazy week for me training wise. Didn't touch the bike at all last weekend!

However, being well rested I got a new 5 minute power pb on tuesday on a hill rep session up the Ranmore Common climb near Dorking. 509watts which @ the 74kgs I am running at currently works out at 6.88 watts / kg, and according to my power profile in the cycling peaks software makes me "exceptional". However, I take this with a pinch of salt as i'm a bit worried that my powertap may be reading high. It has been pretty consistent all year, and also seems to match readings from fellow Kingston Wheeler member, Steve Saunders but was about 5-10% higher than Dan Lloyds SRM when I tested it a couple of weeks ago. Also the data in this program is based upon Boardman riding the track in a pretty extreme aero tuck for 50% of the climb up ranmore I was out of the saddle wrenching on the handlebars, still a pb is a pb and i'm happy of the improvement real or not.

Last night raced a SL handicap out on a circuit near Chertsey. In the scratch group we had myself, gary dodd, martin smith, andy betts, Wouter "turbo locomotive" Sybrandy and Chris "The Slippery Hobbit" Moores. Wouter gains his nickname after coming through so hard no-one could follow his wheel and then for continuing to drive it on the front for a minute or so making it very hard for anyone to get past him! The Slippery Hobbit is so named because he was able to get that low on his bike it was hard to see him let alone get any draft from him. Everytime he went through to the front it was like someone had given him a handsling up the road, whooosh and he was off.

Martin Smith won the race, but for me Wouter was by far the strongest rider on the night and was instrumental in bringing the race together and also had a great go at it towards the end when countering an attack I made with 3km to go, and holding a bunch off for around 2km whilst we were shifting at close to 60km/h.

I met a reader of the blog in Toks, (yep I found another one in addition to my mum which is exciting news for me!), and i'm sure he'd be interested to hear the power data from last night so without further delay the stats from my race yesterday:

Time: 55:40
Distance: 41.4km
Avg Speed: 44.6 km/h
Avg Power: 349 watts
Normalized power: 380 watts

Pretty fast wasn't it!

No comments: