Wednesday 25 June 2008

Feeling Grumpy


Me not looking too comfortable!

Another weekend racing, this time in Aberveganny for the GP of Wales.



I travelled up on Saturday night with Wouter and stayed for my first time in a travelodge. Where we watched holland go out of euro 2008. Wouter tried to cheer himself up by getting a dessert from the closeby Little Chef only to find the services had closed up for the night, you could tell poor Wouter just felt like he needed a break at that point nothing was going his way. At least he got the double bed in the room whilst I made do with the sofa bed, and a bad nights kip on what was possibly the spongiest mattress in the world! Not sure my first experience in a travelodge will tempt me back... at least it wasn't too expensive at 50 quid.

Sunday morning the usual rituals pre race, including with me panicking last minute trying to adjust my rear mech on the start line and in the process nearly taking out some riders who had come all the way from hungary as I failed to check behind me as I jumped off the bike in the start pen as I got to the team car.... Whoops, sorry about that...

The race... blimey that was hard... It was quite unlike me I dropped out with 40k to ride... My normal fighting spirit seems to have temporarily been mislaid. Could it be the lack of sleep recently or the knowledge that i'm not really going as well as I wanted to after having a month of easy riding after my injury at the ras... However once off my bike was great to see team leader Matt going well all day riding on the front and breaking away all the time... Spectatating and handing out bottles certainly had an appeal over racing on a course like that!

The Fonz (Russell Downing) again seems head and shoulders above the rest winning again for the umpteenth time this season. Very Impressive! At least he looks like he's trying this time :)

No comments: