Tuesday 1 April 2008

Time to let the legs recover

Another long weekend spent up north with some moderate success finishing 16th at the tour of the reservoir. Unfortunately half the Sigma team including Matt remained out of action with a flu like bug that struck at the girvan, and Alex Wise was the only other Sigma finisher in a tough race.

My legs are definately in need of a little rest now. The finish to the reservoir was one that I had quite fancied i.e. a steep uphill finish, unfortunately I cramped up badly with about 4 miles to go and went from about 4th wheel in the chase group all the way to the back (and was lucky not to drop off it completely). I drank half a bottle of water and gritted my teeth on the downhill run-in to the finish and that helped ease the cramp, but meant I started the climb from right on the back of a 16 man group, and so could only manage to finish 4th out of the group.

So, as I said legs are feeling a bit sore post race. I got given a great sports massage yesterday from my work colleague (Cat) which has helped ease some of the tension in my legs but with no races entered for a few weeks (as not many elite races within travelling distance in April) i'll be able to get some good recovery in and hopefully start racing again with fresh legs.

Other things i'm looking at doing over the next month is losing a little bit of weight. I was about 72kg in late January but with the cold spell and less time / energy for training due to all the racing i've been doing i've let it creep up a few kilos. Means i might start even eating healthily? Thats the plan anyway..

Hopefully now its British summer time the longer evenings, and warmer weather? will also mean I'll be able to get a few more miles in. Yesterday evening was really great was out for a short recovery ride in shorts and a short sleeve jersey.

No comments: