Tuesday 18 March 2008

My win @ the hounslow road race

Doh! computer just crashed after i'd written an updated report of my win.

Probably a bit long though anyway..

Basically... PCA seem to be a bit bitter about losing a race they would have been expected to win. http://www.cyclingweekly.co.uk/news/NEWS_Hard_Day_in_Hounslow_for_Plowman_Craven_RT_article_198359.html

I thought it was a good idea of the organisor to limit all the teams to 6 riders and so provide a more level playing field where no one team could dominate the race through numbers alone.

Just a couple of things to add to my report:

Its weird how things change over a long race... Mid race I was speaking to Sam (sigma mechanic) and telling him how rubbish I was feeling... Cramping up in the cold and thinking of peeling off and heading off to HQ to get warm, an hour later crossing the line first!

After I had jumped across to the break I went through to the front and was greeted by Gibb shouting at me "go through easy" at this point my power meter said 450 watts so not exactly sprinting. Either he was feeling a bit rubbish or wanted to stall things so a team mate could get across. Needless to say I kept riding hard till I wanted to ease off.

When I jumped at the end I was suprised no-one tried to follow immediately. It was the first attack from within the break, and normally they are the one marked down. Once i'd got that gap up the hill it was just a case of hurting myself for the next 3 miles, something i seem to find myself doing a fair bit in races recently.

From looking at my powermeter file my solo lap at the end was the fastest of the race over the finishing circuit, so obviously i'd saved my energy for the right point today, and despite my lack of celebration in the photo once I'd realised I was the winner I was pretty chuffed as you can imagine. Next stop is the Girvan... Weather forecast looks dodgy! But i've had some good practise in this past weekend so im really looking forward to it.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Well done Andrew, fantastic to see this result. I forsee an Elite squad call up! All the best for the Girvan.